ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM database size?

2008-08-29 01:30:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM database size?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 00:29:10 -0500
.
Everything Wanda said. We have a 377gb TSM database that mostly runs OK.
(It only acts up when I'm on vacation.) It's on 15,000RPM SSA disks, in
JBOD mode, with TSM mirroring.

But you have to watch expiration closely. Basically, you have to expire
as many objects as you back up, every day. Here are the clues that
expiration gives you.

o Does expiration finish on its own in less than 24 hours? That's good.
If you have to cancel expiration in order to run database backup, that's
bad.

o Is the ratio of deleted to examined objects less than 50%? That's
good. I've seen it over 95% on a database that was in very bad trouble.

================ Nothing is ever as simple as it seems.=================