ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Trouble doing a db restore

2008-08-27 09:35:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Trouble doing a db restore
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:31:33 -0500
Do a DB Backup instead of a snapshot, and see what that does.  Not sure
of the difference, but I did a similar thing just a couple of weeks ago
with AIX and new hardware.

DB Backup to NFS mount on new TSM Server.
Restore DB to new server running same version (just 64bit instead of
32).
Restore db todate=today etc. etc.
Things went fine.

Make sure the mount on the old server has the same directory structure
as the location on the new server.
Make sure to have just the volhist.out file, and not the devconfig
(that'll mess up where your new DB is located if its different from the
old).
Make sure to have your new server's db and log volumes formatted and
ready to use.  The restore seemingly reformats them, but I found that if
I didn't have them there and formatted things didn't go as well.  I
started up and tested the new server before I did the restore to make
sure it was working.
Make sure your new db is a little bigger than the old, just in case.

I was running 5.2.9 and upgraded to 5.5.1 after the move.

See Ya'
Howard