ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM Administrative Tasks

2008-08-21 18:15:32
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM Administrative Tasks
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:13:45 -0400
It's taking me forever, but I'm still developing the outline for my
latest book.

I have a question for you about managing a TSM system.  What are the
things you find yourself doing on a regular basis and how do you do
them?  Let me give you a few examples.

1.      Monitoring backup success/failure.

        a.      CLI
        b.      TSM web interface
        c.      third party product

2.      Rerunning failed/missed backups
3.      Putting tapes in a tape library, making them ready to use
4.      Getting tapes offsite

        a.      I send originals and don't make copies
        b.      I send copies and make them via scripting
        c.      I tell TSM how many copies and it manages everything

5.      Expiration

        a.      Run it every day/once a week, etc

6.      Reclamation

        a.      I set my threshold and forget it
        b.      I set my threshold to 100% during backups, then back to
my desired threshold after backups are done
        c.      I set my threshold to 100% during backups, then
gradually increase decrease my reclamation threshold

7.      Make backup sets/instant archives

        a.      If you use them, what do you use them for?

8.      Active data pool
9.      Monitoring for capacity/throughput issues

        a.      Splitting/migrating part of a TSM instance to another
instance

10.     Installing new clients

I'm not taking a survey of the different methods, here.  I don't need to
know how many people are doing what -- I'm just trying to make sure my
list of administrative tasks is complete.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Curtis Preston | VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies, Inc.

T: +1 760 710 2004 | C: +1 760 419 5838 | F: +1 760 710 2009
cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com | www.glasshouse.com
<http://www.glasshouse.com/>
Infrastructure :: Optimized