ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migration

2008-08-21 13:24:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migration
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:20:51 -0400
On Aug 21, 2008, at 1:12 PM, Lepre, James wrote:

Hello Everyone

  I have a question regarding Migration

We are running Tivoli 5.4.1.1. on a windows platform, using a Quantum
DXI 5500 VTL.  My question is during a migration which tapes are used
first, tapes that are not full or scratch tapes.  Meaning will TSM
fill
up a tape to 100% then use scratch tapes or if scratch tapes are
available it uses them first.

TSM's practice is to use Filling tapes, where they are fully eligible
(in library, writable, and mountable or mounted and idle).  It will
span to a scratch tape.  If there are multiple Filling tapes, it
tends to leave "the other one" behind, until there are no more tapes,
in which case it will relent and use that otherwise orphaned Filling
tape.  Where a Filling tape is in use by another session/process, or
is dismounting when TSM needs another tape to continue writing, it
goes for a scratch - which is how the "orphan" can result.

  Richard Sims