ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] New Tivoli Licensing Free Metric tool!

2008-08-07 12:40:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] New Tivoli Licensing Free Metric tool!
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 12:39:34 -0400
>> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:55:39 -0400, "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT
>> COM> said:

> All I want is a simple script, blessed by IBM/Tivoli, that can be
> run non-disruptively and on demand that will return cores/cpus for
> the system it runs on. Until then, they're entitled to the best swag
> I can come up with.

Yes; they need an estimate, -any- estimate, which derives cleanly from
the TSM server data.  But it's going to be a rocky road.

The first estimate they come up with is going to be insane, when it's
finally multiplied by whatever numbers to equal dollars.  This is a
result of their being so obtuse about the licensing for so long.
Since nobody could support the pro-forma regulations with a straight
face, everyone's been WAGging their licensing.

That means that, when they first get automated enforcement in place,
they'll identify lots of folks who are out of compliance.  If they
handle this well, it'll be just a pothole in the road; they'll pull
back from whatever rates, (which would beggar organizations and drive
customers away).  Then everyone will sigh, and get back to work,
paying more or less the same as they did before, plus some modest
percentage.

It's like speed limits. If you move from lackadasical enforcement to
rigid enforcement without adjusting your stated standards of behavior,
you will end up identifying many honest people as transgressors.  This
doesn't help you in the long run.

- Allen S. Rout