ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] New Tivoli Licensing Free Metric tool!

2008-08-05 11:58:30
Subject: [ADSM-L] New Tivoli Licensing Free Metric tool!
From: IBMSubCap <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:27:48 -0400
Our apologies for not being clearer on the process to download the new IBM
License Metric Tool (ILMT).

ILMT is available for no-charge to any active Passport Advantage (PA) or
Passport Advantage Express (PAE) customer -- just place a no-charge order for
ILMT to establish your license entitlement record using part number D561HLL.
Once the order is fulfilled, you should be able to download ILMT using the
standard processes.

PA/PAE customers who already acquired a license entitlement and have active S&S
coverage to the predecessor product, IBM Tivoli License Compliance Manager for
IBM  Software (ITLCM for IBM SW), should be able to download ILMT without
placing a new order.

ILMT's product code of 5724-D33 ties to the following orderable part numbers:
D561HLL - ILMT License & S&S
E027NLL - ILMT S&S Renewal
D561ILL - ILMT S&S Reinstatement
(Note:  These same part numbers were used for ITLCM for IBM SW.)

As an alternative to downloading, PA/PAE customers may choose to order the
physical media pack, part number BJ0P7ML for a nominal charge.

Besides this product specific link
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/license-metric-tool/ mentioned
earlier, you can also find more information on ILMT such as technical
requirements, etc. here:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMLicenseMetricTool.html
 and
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v3r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.license.mgmt.doc/welcome.html
 and
http://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/7/897/ENUS208-197/ENUS208197.PDF

ILMT is targeted to IBM customers using our PVU-based middleware in virtualized
server environments (see:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/lotus/passportadvantage/ilmt_subcapacity_licensing.html
 for more information) and is designed to measure the maximum processor core
capacity for IBM's server-based middleware products that use the PVU (Processor
Value Unit) licensing metric.  Tivoli Storage Manager is licensed based on
their "Enhanced Value-Based Pricing" model.  See
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/tivoli/licensing/Tivoli-Licensing-Q4-2007.pdf
 and for IBM's PVU-based licensing, see:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/lotus/passportadvantage/pvu_licensing_for_customers.html

ILMT can only be used to determine the number and types of processor cores for
TSM's PVU-base licensing on the managed servers via a manual effort.  In other
words, ILMT won't "see" the TSM code on the TSM managed server, but if you know
the servers that TSM is managing, then you can use ILMT to determine the
processor cores.

Also note that the installation of the ILMT agent on client PCs (desktops,
laptops that TSM may manage) is not recommended nor supported.