ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] New TSM Layout

2008-07-31 11:58:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] New TSM Layout
From: John Underdown <JohnUnderdown AT SYNOVUS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:55:55 -0400
for STG pools, i create the raid group large enough for 2 LUNs (4TB), and
assign each LUN (2TB) to a different STG pool. then migrate or reclaim the STG
pools separately.  extra effort, but well worth the extra performance. rule of
thumb is when the number of spindles doubles performance will increase ~50%.

BTW we only use disk and file STG pools, no tape. reclaim thresholds are well
below 30%. all volumes are predefined at 64GB, which is the max on a Linux XFS
partition, but i won't want any larger.

john

>>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:05 AM, in message
>>> <OF498A62B5.9406B6F2-ON85257497.00527A49-85257497.0052E61D AT
>>> americas.bnpparibas DOT com>, Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS
>>> DOT COM> wrote:

I went through a number of different configurations on our Clariion.  The
best ended up being to take only 1 LUN from each raid group.  As many raid
groups as possible.
My main TSM server has 19 X 200gB raw volumes for its diskpool.  Each
volume is from a different raidgroup.

Just try not to use more than one lun from the same raid group.  That's
when I ran into performance issues.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
BDollens AT TXFB-INS DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
07/31/2008 10:15 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] New TSM Layout

We are in the process of designing our new TSM server. As part of this
we are also going to give it new SAN drive space.

Currently we have 661 Gig in our disk pool and we are upping that to 900
Gig. What our questions is how should we partition that? Our current
pool is in 7 partitions but I was thinking more like 3 or 4 partitions.
Are there any pro's/con's with going with fewer disk partitions?

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.

NOTICE: This communication is intended only for the person or
entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential,
proprietary, and/or privileged material. Unless you are the
intended addressee, any review, reliance, dissemination,
distribution, copying or use whatsoever of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you received this in error, please reply
immediately and delete the material from all computers. Email sent
through the Internet is not secure. Do not use email to send us
confidential information such as credit card numbers, PIN numbers,
passwords, Social Security Numbers, Account numbers, or other
important and confidential information.