ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange 2007

2008-07-29 08:01:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange 2007
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:00:54 -0400
As some of the listers have already mentioned...

Data Protection for Exchange tells the Exchange Server that the
full (or incremental) backup was successful and that it is now safe
to truncate the logs. The actual log files get physically deleted by the
Exchange Server, not Data Protection for Exchange. There are a few things
that can sometimes "delay" this truncation. One such thing is
LCR or CCR replication on Exchange Server 2007.

If you are worried that Data Protection for Exchange is not doing
something correctly... you can certainly open a call with IBM support.
They will most likely have you turn on tracing... and look for this in the
trace:

backupsg.cpp        (1764): Enter CBackupSg::truncateExchangeLogs()
backupsg.cpp        (1775): Calling HRESEBACKUPTRUNCATELOGS( 0x1d0cfa00
)...
e2kapidl.cpp        (1102): Enter CE2kApiDL::hrEseBackupTruncateLogs
baseapi.cpp         ( 183): Enter DBaseApi::StartApiCall()
baseapi.cpp         ( 188): Exit DBaseApi::StartApiCall()
baseapi.cpp         ( 242): Enter DBaseApi::EndApiCall()( Exchange )
baseapi.cpp         ( 263): Exit DBaseApi::EndApiCall(), elapsed seconds
0, total time 0 for Exchange Apis
e2kapidl.cpp        (1110): Exit CE2kApiDL::hrEseBackupTruncateLogs
backupsg.cpp        (1790): HRESEBACKUPTRUNCATELOGS() was successful.

The HrESEBackupTruncateLogs() function notifies ESE (Exchange database
engine)
that the database (full) and logs (full, incr) have been backed up
successfully,
so it can delete the logs when it is ready.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 07/28/2008
05:38:10 PM: