ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange 2007

2008-07-28 21:27:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange 2007
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 21:26:24 -0400
On Jul 28, 2008, at 5:38 PM, Ochs, Duane wrote:

I'm running backups using TDP for MAIL - Exchange 5.5.1
Running fulls daily. And the trans logs are not being deleted.

No errors. No failures. The documentations indicates that Exchange is
supposed to perform this maintenance upon completion of a full backup.

A premiere call was placed with Microsoft. They state that the backup
software is supposed to perform the deletion.

Any ideas ?

I think MS left you with a false impression of the processing.  From
what I understand, it is always the Exchange server which performs the
deletion, incited to do so by virtue of a full or incremental online
backup of all the databases in a storage group is performed (circular
logging disabled).  See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240145 .

See also the FAQ appendix in the TDP manual, question
  "How do the Exchange Server transaction logs get deleted?"
for further insight.

The Exchange log and/or Windows Event Log may have further info on
what transpired.

   Richard Sims