ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Little OT: Adding storage to EMC Clariion

2008-07-20 16:10:14
Subject: [ADSM-L] Little OT: Adding storage to EMC Clariion
From: Bill Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:08:09 -0400
I've been tasked with adding 2 DAE expansion units to an existing dual
controller AX4 with 2 DAE's already attached. I've been searching the EMC
site looking for documentation on how to do it and found a doc. I'm
skeptical as it looks like it's as simple as:

1.       Rack the DAE.

2.       Connect the A and B side connector cables from the current last DAE
to the new one

3.       Apply power.

4.       Verify that the new DAE and disks are seen.

I'm familiar with adding capacity to the IBM DS4000 controllers and those
systems you have to quiesce the I/O before adding the EXP unit.

Do I need to do the same with the EMC unit? Quiesce all I/O before adding
the DAE's?

TSM's not on this storage, but there is an entire Bladecenter connected to
it and TSM backs up all those systems. Some are VMware ESX servers.so since
I mention TSM.maybe I'm not too far off topic??

TIA,

Bill Boyer