ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Deletion of onsite tape

2008-07-18 10:20:26
Subject: [ADSM-L] Deletion of onsite tape
From: Richard Mochnaczewski <Richard.Mochnaczewski AT STANDARDLIFE DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:18:48 -0400
Hi *,

I have a scenario. We had an onsite tape that got mangeled by a drive. The tape
showed 75% usage initially. When we did the restore from offsite tapes, TSM
reported that it completed successfully but there was still 15% left on the
tape. The user went ahead and did a del vol discarddata=yes ( yes , I already
hear the groans ) and looking through the  logs see the following message :

14.07.2008 10:28:05  ANR1256W Volume C60255 contains files that could not be
                      restored. (SESSION: 130878)

What we would like to do is setup TSM on a test server and perform a mini-DR.
That is, restore the database prior to the del and do a query content on the
volume and check against the current database to see what data is missing.

My questions :

1) Why would TSM report the restore being successful when there was still data
on it ? Could it be that running an audit vol would have fixed the volume
against database and there was no data lost, just a volume messing up the TSM
database pointers ?

2) We have the volumes that were used for the restore. Is there any way of
restoring the data and then importing it back into the current environment ?

TSM Server :
TSM 5.3.6.3 ( being upgrading to TSM 5.4 shortly )
AIX5.3

Rich

Standard Life : 175 ans au coeur de nos vies
Standard Life: Part of our lives for 175 years