ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Lost LIBVOLUME tapes

2008-07-16 04:53:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Lost LIBVOLUME tapes
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:52:08 +0200
Mark Wheeler wrote:
 I have an ACSLS library "B243" with volrange VA5000-VA5149. I checked in
 new volumes VA5150-VA5159, and 90 of the 150 tapes in the VA5000-VA5149
 range disappeared!!!
 One that disappeared was VA5000, which is one of my storage volumes. I
 checked it in (status=private) and it now shows:
 Library Name  Volume Name  Status      Owner       Last Use

 ------------  -----------  ----------  ----------  ---------
 B243          VA5000       Private     GENTOO51
 Note "Last Use" is blank (should be Data). I tried to run "AUDIT V
 VA5000" but it returned:
 ANR2017I Administrator XXXXXXXX issued command: AUDIT
  VOLUME va5000
 ANR2410E AUDIT VOLUME: Unable to access volume VA5000 -
  access mode is set to "unavailable".

 Not good! How do I reconstruct my library volume table?

1- checkin all your lost volumes as data, the last use field will get updated
once they are used.
2- update you volumes to become on-line again (upd vol va5* acc=readw
whereacc=unav)

now, you probably lost some volumes that are scratch as well, so you'll need
some sql select to find those:

select VOLUME_NAME from LIBVOLUMES where VOLUME_NAME not in (select VOLUME_NAME
from VOLUMES) and volume_name not in (select volume_name from volhistory where
not type like 'STG%')

(now, this is untested, so be sure to verify, I'm sure that if you have export
tapes in there or backup sets, you must exclude those as well!)

if you are sure that a tape really is scratch, update that libvol.

You may want to do an audit library after all of this.

 Best regards,
 Mark Wheeler, 3M Company

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,