ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] iscsi world as it relates to TSM world

2008-07-10 17:31:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] iscsi world as it relates to TSM world
From: Tom Wright <twright AT GRESHAMSTORAGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:29:55 -0500
John,

The Gresham Storage Director provides both iSCSI and/or FC connectivity
for your backup servers and manages physical tape and other devices off
the back-end.  iSCSI works well with this and has many good attributes
including using existing infrastructure for remote connectivity.  We
have connected a backup server in Texas to a Gresham box in the UK for
example, and performed a backup all the way through to physical tape in
the UK over a VPN tunnel.

Performance is the issue however.  WAN performance is impacted by many
things, not to mention the number of "hops" to get to the final
destination along with whether you are sharing the performance of the
WAN connection with other things, but functionally it works fine.

In a local tape environment, you can use iSCSI over a 1Gb Ethernet
network and we generally see about a 50-80MB/Sec data rate (megabyte not
bit) with the Gresham box in this environment.  You might say that this
doesn't sound very fast but in reality a given backup server running
from internal disks usually can't push data any faster than that anyway.
Therefore put each backup server on it's own private network if you
wish.

I would say that if you don't have a high bandwidth requirement, iSCSI
over 1Gb Ethernet might be a good low cost solution in the configuration
mentioned above.

However, 10Gb iSCSI adapters are now available and should be able to
give you performance equivalent to 4Gb FC but we are seeing differences
in performance on different adapters and will be testing this more
before we make a selection.  The other problem with 10Gb iSCSI right now
is that they are still charging as much or more for these adapters and
switches than they are for 4Gb FC so there is no real incentive from a
cost perspective.  Hopefully this will change in the future.

Regards,

Tom Wright

tel:   512-407-2609