ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] p6-Blade? RE: IBM p 520 vs. p 570 vs p 550

2008-06-23 11:37:07
Subject: [ADSM-L] p6-Blade? RE: IBM p 520 vs. p 570 vs p 550
From: Troy Barnhart <TBarnhart AT RCRH DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:35:51 -0600
This is what we use:  two P550's as our TSM servers.  (Disk: DS4800's & Tape:
3584's (four LTO4 drives & 600 slots) per datacenter.)

We have around 400 nodes total, 2-3 TB change per night, 5 policy domains.

We have two datacenters - one TSM server per datacenter.  We "inherited" two
P520's from a project that changed to Windows in mid-project.  So, those P520's
were beefed-up & became our Disaster Recovery Servers.  1-P550 & 1-P520 in each
datacenter with our SAN providing mirrored disk & tape.

So, the P550 in one datacenter is "tied" to the offline P520 in the other
datacenter.  We occasionally refresh the "mksysb" from P550 to P520.
Theoretically, we could lose an entire datacenter and keep both TSM servers
running with full data and tapes.

I agree with the thoughts on P570 versus P550/P520 as LPAR versus Physical
needs.  So far, we just haven't the need to justify going to LPAR for business
or technical reasons.

Has anyone done the new p6-Blades?   JS22?

I have our TSM "ARCHIVE" server on a B80.  It only has about a dozen nodes with
data that we have to keep "monthly backups".  It has a large TSM-database and
tapes, but not too heavily used.  I've been debating this on a Blade.

Troy Barnhart, Sr. Systems Programmer
tbarnhart AT rcrh DOT org
Regional Health, Inc.
353 Fairmont Boulevard