ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Can TSM locks file during backup ?

2008-06-18 17:39:09
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Can TSM locks file during backup ?
From: "Clark, Robert A" <Robert.Clark AT PROVIDENCE DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:37:57 -0700
The capitalization of "SQL Server" would imply Microsoft SQL Server,
which in turn implies Windows OS?

I do wonder, as Microsoft continues to tighten up access control, and
adds "features" to its file system semantics, that at some point the TSM
client may "lock" a file by requesting some form of exclusive read
access.

I remember at least a few times where the client has been broken by
service packs or hot fixes. I'm fighting with the unresolved IC56269
right at the moment. This doesn't feel like a Tivoli created problem, so
it must be the OS that is changing.

Throw in odd felsites things like DiskXtender, Polyserve, etc, and who
knows what the client can or cannot expect to get a file handle on.

[RC]