ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] New Tape Library

2008-06-18 11:28:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] New Tape Library
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:24:40 -0400
-----Adrian Compton wrote: -----

>I am upgrading my tape library (3583) to a TS3200.

The way you phrase this suggests that you will be moving tape drives
from your current library to the new library. The suggested sequence
below is based on that assumption.

1.Connect new library.
2.Verify that OS can communicate with new library.
3.Define the new library and its associated path.
3.Quiesce all TSM activity that uses tape drives.
4.Ensure that any volumes in drives are dismounted.
5.Update status of tape drives and associated paths to 'online=no'.
6.Record status (scratch or private) of volumes in old library.
7.Check out the volumes from the old library.
8.Update status of path to old library to 'online=no'.
9.Update tape device classes to refer to the new library.
10.Physically move the tape drives to the new library.
11.Define the tape drives and associated paths in the new library.
12.Check in volumes to the new library, giving each volume that same
status recorded for it in step 6.
13.Once you are sure that the new libary is functioning properly,
delete the old paths, drives, and library.