ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Quota for clients?

2008-06-10 13:49:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Quota for clients?
From: Dominique Laflamme <dominique.laflamme.mbh7 AT STATEFARM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:48:13 -0700
There are times when a nearly trivial change replicated across a file
system (I'm thinking of NTFS permissions changes; I'm sure there are
others) will force unusually large backups. In cases like that, I'd like
the TSM backups to continue to run into normal business hours but in a
way that minimizes network impact on Real Business Operations. Multiply
that across hundreds of nodes as a new policy is enacted, and the
problem becomes "very noticeable."

We have to be careful not to let the tail wag the dog. TSM exists to
serve the needs of the organization, not to dictate the way the
organization does business. If the business needs require that I keep
TSM from hogging network bandwidth, it would be nice to have a more
delicate method than just cancelling the running backup session.

Just a thought,
Nick