ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] LTO2 storage space

2008-05-30 10:53:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] LTO2 storage space
From: Avy Wong <AWong AT MOHEGANSUN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:49:27 -0400
Zoltan,
      I guess there is really no way to put a define number to the storage
capacity. It will still be based on data being compressed or not ?

Avy Wong
Business Continuity Administrator
Mohegan Sun
1 Mohegan Sun Blvd
Uncasville, CT 06382
(860)862-8164
(cell) (860)961-6976

             Zoltan
             Forray/AC/VCU
             <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: [ADSM-L] LTO2 storage space

             05/30/2008 10:34
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

The label info states the NATIVE and COMPRESSED capacity. The compressed
capacity assumes a 2:1 ratio.

However, as with all compression/compaction, YMMV.  For instance, I have
some LTO2 tapes that TSM says contain >700GB of data since the data was
highly compressable.

Avy Wong <AWong AT MOHEGANSUN DOT COM>
05/30/2008 10:30 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] LTO2 storage space

Hello,
      Can you tell me how much storage is actually going into one of these
Maxell, Ultrium LTO2 (200/400GB)? why does it not simply say 200 GB or 400
GB? Does it mean if it is compacted or not? Thank you for clarify this for
me.