ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Returning 3592 w/o losing data

2008-05-29 14:58:08
Subject: [ADSM-L] Returning 3592 w/o losing data
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:57:02 -0400
A 3592 cartridge was removed from our 3584 by a CE some time ago. It
may have been stuck in a drive. After that Operations lost the
cartridge for some time, but recently found it. TSM had marked the
volume UNAVAILABLE due to 1 write error, but the 3584 no longer lists
it in its inventory.

There are files on the cartridge that we need, so I plan to return
the cartridge to the 3584. Will the correct procedure be just like
returning an OFFSITE volume to a library? That is; after the
cartridge is placed in a library slot by the changer, 'Assign' it to
a logical library on the 3584; then run 'checkin libv <library-name>
<volume-name> status=private' ?   (I realize I will have to change
its access to read-only, run audit vol, etc.)

[The point of all this -->] Is there anything I could do, by mistake,
that would make the files on the cartridge permanently gone?

With my thanks and best wishes,
Keith Arbogast
Indiana University