ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Why so many filling tapes?

2008-05-27 07:45:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Why so many filling tapes?
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 07:43:41 -0400
One thing to look at is whether the filling tapes are getting used.

We have had a problem for years with what we call "stuck filling tapes".
These are filling tapes that appear to never, ever get reused. We went
around and
around with support on this issue with no resolution.  We finally
decided to just live with it.  We wrote a script that looks for filling
tapes that have not been used in the past 7 days, and issue a
movedata on them.

This is the sql we run to identify them.

   dsmadmc -se=$tsm \
           -id=$adminid \
           -password=$adminpwd \
           -dataonly=yes \
           -tab \
           "select volume_name, \
                   stgpool_name, \
                  (current_timestamp - last_write_date)days, \
                   status, \
                   DEVCLASS_NAME, \
                   access,  \
                   last_write_date  \
             from  volumes \
             where    status = 'FILLING' \
                 and  access != 'UNAVAILABLE'  \
                 and  cast((current_timestamp - last_write_date)days as
decimal(6,0)) \> 7  \
                 order by volume_name" \
           > $tmpfile3

Rick

             Roger Deschner
             <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            To
             Dist Stor                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Manager"                                                   cc
             <[email protected]
             .EDU>                                                 Subject
                                       Why so many filling tapes?

             05/23/2008 10:45
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Our TSM system is eating tapes.

We have a very large number of "filling" tapes. I have sorted them by
collocation group, and some collocation groups have as many as 6 tapes
in "filling" status. We only have 4 tape drives, and we never migrate
with more than 2 drives per storage pool, so I cannot understand how we
wound up with more than 2 filling tapes per collocation group.

They are all in readwrite status. There have been no I/O errors that
could explain this.

I could accept 3, and call it one of those things, but 6?

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.