ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Retrieving invalidated SQL transaction logs

2008-05-12 12:30:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Retrieving invalidated SQL transaction logs
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 12:28:44 -0400
Hi Rick,

When a full backup occurs, the previous log and differentials
are "inactivated", not "invalidated".
i.e. they are changed from "active" to "inactive".

You should be able to use the GUI to select FULL backup from the 6th,
and then select all of the individual log backups that you want to
restore (active and inactive)... and restore them that way.
If the "auto-select" gets in your way, you can do them a few at a time,
Make sure to only check the "Recovery" checkbox on the LAST log restore.

The problem you might run into is if there was some database reorg
or defrag or something else that might cause the log backups
that were intended to be applied to the 7th, 8th, or 9th full backups
not to apply correctly to the backup from the 6th.

If you are having trouble, you should call IBM support to have
them walk you through this.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/12/2008
12:04:17 PM: