ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Directory Structure Expires

2008-05-07 15:37:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Directory Structure Expires
From: Laurent Bendavid <bendavid.laurent AT FREE DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 21:36:29 +0200
You're right. In fact, in our company, we set DIRMC on TSM Server and we bind all TSM clients to this client option set definition.

What we do :
- We set retention to the max of all our policies
- We set version to NOLIMIT
(and to optimize restore process, we store all backed up directories in a dedicated storage pool FILE)

It's the only manner to not have problem during restore process with GUI.

However, in Point in Time restore, you have the same problem with files. The maximum return point you could use with assurance is the max number of days equal to your maxversion set in policies.

Andrew Raibeck a écrit :
I would need more information. For example, I can understand how this can happen if it is, say, a point-in-time restore. In that case, if the management class with the longest retention period happens to have a lower VEREXISTS or VERDELETED than the management class to which the directory's files are bound, you can have a situation where files exist for a given date, but not the parent directory. Or if DIRMC points to a directory with a lower RETONLY setting.

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support web page: http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.