ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VSS crashing W2K3?

2008-05-07 08:23:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VSS crashing W2K3?
From: Matthew Large <Matthew.Large AT BARCLAYSWEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 13:22:09 +0100
Thanks Del,

Microsoft send us back their analysis of the MSdump and highlighted these:

---
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for tsmlvsa.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for vsp.sys
Probably caused by : tsmlvsa.sys ( tsmlvsa+92db ) - Driver that caused the crash

---
STACK_TEXT:(excerpt)
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.

f78bacf8 f72b1a92 f78bad10 8e36dd24 9068ac90 tsmlvsa+0x92db - Driver loaded in
stack when server rebooted
f78bae2c f72b1e5b 90613018 8e36dbb8 8081deb9 tsmlvsa+0xfa92
f78bae4c f750ff06 8a704000 8f315858 90687358 tsmlvsa+0xfe5b

----
FOLLOWUP_IP:
tsmlvsa+92db
f72ab2db 8bc6            mov     eax,esi

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  3
SYMBOL_NAME:  tsmlvsa+92db
FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner
MODULE_NAME: tsmlvsa
IMAGE_NAME:  tsmlvsa.sys
DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  476038b1
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0xB8_tsmlvsa+92db
BUCKET_ID:  0xB8_tsmlvsa+92db
----

Would the ServiceCenter app return a 'Writer name' in 'vssadmin list writers'?
If it _is_ using VSS then it isn't obvious.

BW are averse to shutting down these systems, even out-of-hours, but I will
push to have SC shut down prior to backup.

I might have to read up on the VSHADOW command before running those tests,
thanks for the advice though.

Much appreciated,
Matthew

------