ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Fantasy TSM

2008-05-06 14:52:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Fantasy TSM
From: Alex Paschal <apaschal AT MSIINET DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:51:23 -0500
Something like readline used for the command line client, so we could
get vi-style-editing (ok, fine, or emacs for the heathens) & history
search/recall/edit.

Why embed?  Instead of just Ruby, how about the ability for the server
to execute a given shell- or perl- (or even ruby- :-) script.  Then you
can use any scripting language you like.  Heck, or even compiled
executables from other languages.  And you could have admin schedules
that execute those scripts rather than using client schedules or having
an admin schedule define a clientaction to execute a script.  Maybe use
the EDITOR environment variable to do seamless script editing.  "edit
cancelprocs" spawns vi/emacs/nano/whatever, then "run cancelprocs" to
execute.  "define script cancelprocs type=external
path=/dir/cancelprocs" maybe.

I'd like to see dsmulog wrap sanely.

I second the intelligent application of SQL to commands.

I'd like to see the ability to define aliases in the command-line.

Add the ability to track file/filetree moves and update hl_name rather
than expire and rebackup in new location.  Or if not track, allow us to
"update hl_name where hl_name=xxx".  I wonder if we'll be able to do
that after the DB2 change, or if the schema will be too complicated.

This was fun.  Great thread, Steven.