ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Fantasy TSM

2008-05-05 15:18:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Fantasy TSM
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 15:17:50 -0400
SOME better way to handle NAS backups.
I have multiple customers with NAS luns (from mutliple vendors) over 1 TB in
size.

Backing them up via CIFS takes too long but preserves versioning.

Backup via NDMP is improved in 5.4, but still results in dumping many TB per
day of unchanged data, and you lose the beauty of TSM mgmt classes for
managing different data differently and versioning.

I know the underlying problem is the inability to install a client on the
NAS head, from whatever vendor.
I'm wondering if TSM could take the NDMP dump and post-process it, to carve
out the changed files only and handle them according to regular mgmt
classes.

That way we could keep a couple of weeks of full dumps, in case we need a
full restore, but retain versions at the file level for longer, based on
mgmt classes.