ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server scaling/sizing for lots (>20000) nodes

2008-04-29 21:14:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server scaling/sizing for lots (>20000) nodes
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:13:44 -0400
FWIW:

CDP is "continuous data protection"

The point of CDP is to capture ALL changes to the users' working files.  For
instance, by default it would monitor for changes to .doc and .xls  and .txt
files, but not by default the  .exe files.  Versions are captured into a
local cache directory when the user makes a change.

Thus the idea of "continuous" protection, that allows the user recovery from
an oops in the middle of the day when working on a document (whereas TSM
backups are normally set up for once a day).  CDP has a GUI that can go back
and retrieve any saved version, as you might expect.  You set controls on
the amount of space used for the cache, which indirectly controls how many
versions you can save.

In addition to the local cache, the backed up versions can be sent to a
"remote" location, which can be an external drive, a network drive or a TSM
server (CDP understands what TSM is).  If the remote connection isn't
available, CDP will wait until it is available to do the remote upload,
while the local monitoring/caching still works.

The CDP product will also do a "scheduled" backup, which scans and backs up
everything, more like a daily TSM client backup.  Again that backup can go
to a different drive (like a network drive), or to a TSM server.

It's really designed for desktops/laptops, that may not be connected to your
network continuously.  It's inexpensive (not compared to freeware, of
course).  I run it on a home PC to local cache and an external USB drive.

I find the setup interface rather awkward and non-intuitive, but it
certainly does what it claims to do.  I have restored working documents I
have stomped, and been grateful for the result, more than once!