ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Retain All Existing TSM Backup / Archive Data for 10Yrs

2008-04-29 07:54:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Retain All Existing TSM Backup / Archive Data for 10Yrs
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:52:56 -0500
If you only have to keep what is there for 10 years and can allow normal
processing of new data going forward... set up a new domain with grace
periods to fit your needs... for 10 years 3,666 days will work, my example
here is where I had to keep everything for an umlimited period of time.
(put in a base backup and archive mgmt that will fit your needs, again,
here my example was unlimited)
Move whatever nodes need the extended retention over into this domain and
rename them something like
<existing_name>_10YR
Then register the existing name back into their initial domain.
This will basically freeze all of the existing data

tsm: XXXXXXXX>q domain unlimited f=d

Policy Domain Name: UNLIMITED
Activated Policy Set: STANDARD
Activation Date/Time: 12/15/2006 13:59:50
Days Since Activation: 501
Activated Default Mgmt Class: UNLIMITED
Number of Registered Nodes: 3
Backup Retention (Grace Period): 9,999
Archive Retention (Grace Period): 30,000
Last Update by (administrator): XXXXX
Last Update Date/Time: 12/15/2006 13:59:50
Managing profile:
Changes Pending: No
Active Data Pool List:

tsm: XXXXXXXX>q copy unlimited active t=a

Policy Policy Mgmt Copy Retain
Domain Set Name Class Group Version
Name Name Name
--------- --------- --------- --------- --------
UNLIMITED ACTIVE UNLIMITED STANDARD No Limit

tsm: XXXXXXXX>q copy unlimited active t=b

Policy Policy Mgmt Copy Versions Versions Retain Retain
Domain Set Name Class Group Data Data Extra Only
Name Name Name Exists Deleted Versions Version
--------- --------- --------- --------- -------- -------- -------- -------
UNLIMITED ACTIVE UNLIMITED STANDARD No Limit No Limit No Limit No Lim-
it

tsm: XXXXXXXX>

Dwight E. Cook
Systems Management Integration Professional, Advanced
Integrated Storage Management
TSM Administration
(405) 253-4397

Ok, we have a requirements to retain all Backup / Archive data that
exists in our TSM environment today for 10 years.  There's a few "ugly"
options, but would it be possible to do the following?

Export node from Existing TSM servers to New TSM Server with Archive And
Backup Copy Groups set to 10 years retention.  I know that just
increasing the Archive Copy group on the existing TSM Server's Archives
to 10YR will not re-bind those Archive objects, but what if you export a
node to a new TSM server with Longer retention Archive Copy Groups will
the Archives bind to the new Archive Copy groups on the new TSM server?
(I'm hoping so)

Appreciate the input!