ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How long should we keep volhist?

2008-04-25 07:25:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How long should we keep volhist?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:24:12 +0200
Quoting Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>:

On Apr 25, 2008, at 5:22 AM, Jim Young wrote:

Whats the knock on effect of not clearing your volhist anyway?
Short of getting a large text file hanging around.

The large, flat file doesn't just hang around: it is completely
rewritten at each volume transition, where the TSM server has to run
through all its volhistory entries, format, and write each entry to
the file designated by the VOLUMEHistory server option - no matter
how busy it is with other tasks.

Is this true? I know the volhist files are updated each time a database backup is completed, but is it also updates for each time a volume is added or deleted from a storagepool? Of course, the volhist table in the db is continuously updated, but that should not be to big a problem (well, after about 5 years or so it might).

Are there any other downsides we can think of?

  Richard Sims  http://people.bu.edu/rbs/

--

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post, PLCS