ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DSMSERV FORMAT vs. LOADFORMAT

2008-04-24 03:35:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DSMSERV FORMAT vs. LOADFORMAT
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:32:38 +0200
Wanda Prather wrote:
> I have a customer planning a DR test.
> They run TSM 5.5 server on AIX 5.3.
>
> They will be taking a mksysb tape to the DR site to reload AIX.
> So the TSM code will be reloaded with the mksysb, but the TSM DB & log are
> not in the root volume group.
>
> Thus we will need to initialize an empty DB & Log to restore the DB tape
> (using raw volumes).
>
> In this case, does it matter whether we use DSMSERV FORMAT or DSMSERV
> LOADFORMAT?
> Is there a difference in the results?

Hi Wanda,

Yes there is. DSMSERV FORMAT does everything DSMSERV FORMAT does plus
load some base definitions in you database (admins admin and
server_console, domain standard, the three default storagepools, etc.),
which will be retained if the subsequently restore another database. You
by now know the answer, you really need to use DSMSERV LOADFORMAT (maybe
even if you want to build a fresh tsm server, but I can't remember if I
ever tried that, I usually just delete the unwanted defaults).

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post, PLCS