ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Fw: TSM being abandoned?

2008-04-17 16:31:20
Subject: [ADSM-L] Fw: TSM being abandoned?
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:29:48 -0400
As an appliance, I call that Hardware, as in it's a device outside of the
host getting the service, performing the service.  I can also see why you
call it Software - it is running on a General Purpose processor, etc.
You're right on with the fact that they're specifically architected to do
exactly what they do, and to perform that function as well as they can.

The DeDupe coming in TSM will be good enough for some customers, and no
where close to adequate for others.  Same thing with tape management,
reporting, encryption, an just about every other feature.  As usual in the
IT world, you have to evaluate needs, see what's out there, and decide what
is the best solution for your environment.  One size definitely doesn't fit
all.

Or, as my dad likes to say, "If it was easy, they wouldn't call it 'work'!"

Nick Cassimatis

----- Forwarded by Nicholas Cassimatis/Raleigh/IBM on 04/17/2008 04:02 PM
-----

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 04/17/2008
02:29:00 PM: