ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Drive Encryption (3592)

2008-04-15 09:13:14
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Drive Encryption (3592)
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:12:26 -0400
Boris,
    Library managed encryption is controlled by the TS3500 library
communicating with the Encryption Key Manager application and TSM has no
awareness of any encryption occurring.  No TSM configuration is required
when performing library managed encryption.
   I strongly recommend that you review the the following:
IBM Encryption Key Manager Intro, Planning and User Guide (GA76-0419)
IBM Tape device Drivers Encryption Support (GA32-0565)
IBM TSM Building a Secure Environment (Redbook SG24-7505)
IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Encryption: Planning, Implementation and
Usage Guide (Redbook SG24-7320)
IBM Tape Encryption for TS1120 and IBM Ultrium 4 Tape Drives (TechDoc,
Rolf Hahn)

   Plan to spend a few weeks setting up your key management, testing and
documenting key management policies and procedures.  Also verify the
recovery procedure if you accidently loose or destroy a key (hint -
monster.com)

   An advantage to library managed encryption is that your security
group can be respoonsible for managing the encryption keys with almost
no TSM expertise required.  Additionally, a different application (not
TSM) could write encrypted data to a tape with no dependence on TSM
(other than temporarly marking that drive unavailable and ensuring the
tape is not a TSM tape).

   Have you considered encrypting every tape in the library?  It may
simplify your media management.  The performance hit of encrypting on a
TS1120 is almost nill.

Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.