ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 5.5 server in larger environments?

2008-04-10 10:01:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 5.5 server in larger environments?
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:00:31 -0400
We are running 4-servers. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

The 5.5 servers have given us grief. We have at least 4-known (apars)
problems we are waiting on patches for. 1-requires occasional restarts of
the server (this is the IBM workaround).  The other one has crashed
frequently.  In fact, we currently have an open problem on this server.
IBM had to  create us a "diagnostic kernel" version of dsmserv to try to
reproduce the problem and get additional information.

The biggest has a 160GB DB, which is showing us the most problems. Expires
are running 48-hours+.  We only backup 1-2TB daily on this server but have
an occupancy of 177TB with 289M files which I think is where our drag on
the expires, is.

I will not upgrade the non-5.5 servers until IBM gets these problems
resolved.  5.4.2 is the highest I recommend!

Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
04/09/2008 03:55 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] 5.5 server in larger environments?

Hi All,

usually, after  new TSM server is released you hear many complaints from
early adopters about lots of problems. With 5.5 I've heard very little,
so I was wondering, how many people are actually using the 5.5 server in
a production environment, and how big are these? Is anyone with a db
over 100 GB in size running 5.5 server? Or over 200 GB? How much data do
you backup on an average day? During the last dutch TSM UG meeting,
there was only one site using 5.5 server out of about 30 attendees.

--

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post, PLCS