ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Problem with Solaris 5.5.x client and password change

2008-04-07 16:06:45
Subject: [ADSM-L] Problem with Solaris 5.5.x client and password change
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 16:05:29 -0400
We just discovered a "problem" with the 5.5.x Solaris client and when the
node password is changed on the server.

With the 5.5.0.0-4 client, if the password is changed on the server, the
command line client reconizes the password change, but does not/can not
update the TSM.PWD file and establish a working server connection.

You first get the ANS1262I message and are prompted for the nodename and
then the password. However, the update of the password fails.

When the client is backleveled to V5.4.2.0, itt works correctly. You get
the ANS1262I and the prompt and are then further prompted to enter the
current password which is correctly changed/re-encrypted and the TSM.PWD
file updated.

Anyone else seen this?  I haven't see any direct hits on IBM.  Any similar
apars talk about SESSIONINIT=SERVERONLY, which is not the case here.

Also, FWIW, these nodes have multiple server stansa since they also
perform TDP Oracle backups.

Here is the output using the 5.5.0.4 (latest) client:

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Backup/Archive Client Interface
  Client Version 5, Release 5, Level 0.4
  Client date/time: 04/07/08   15:41:32
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2008. All Rights
Reserved.

Node Name: DONEGAL.VCU.EDU
ANS1262I Password is not updated. Either an invalid current password was
supplied or the new password does not fulfill the server password
requirements.
Please enter your user id <DONEGAL.VCU.EDU>:

ANS1262I Password is not updated. Either an invalid current password was
supplied or the new password does not fulfill the server password
requirements.
ANS1262I Password is not updated. Either an invalid current password was
supplied or the new password does not fulfill the server password
requirements.
ANS1025E Session rejected: Authentication failure

After downleveling to 5.4.2.0:

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Backup/Archive Client Interface
  Client Version 5, Release 4, Level 2.0
  Client date/time: 04/07/08   15:23:48
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2008. All Rights
Reserved.

Node Name: DONEGAL.VCU.EDU
ANS1262I Password is not updated. Either an invalid current password was
supplied or the new password does not fulfill the server password
requirements.
Please enter your user id <DONEGAL.VCU.EDU>:

Please enter password for user id "DONEGAL.VCU.EDU":

Password updated.