ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] PROBLEM: HSM For Windows Recalling ALL Migrated Data During B/A Client Restore

2008-04-04 18:17:15
Subject: [ADSM-L] PROBLEM: HSM For Windows Recalling ALL Migrated Data During B/A Client Restore
From: Robin Lowe <robin.lowe AT BLUEYONDER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 23:14:53 +0100
Hi TSMers

I am testing HSM For Windows, using this environment:

TSM AIX Server 5.4.0.1
TSM For Windows B/A Client 5.4.1.2
TSM HSM For Windows 5.4.0.3

My problem, which I am puzzled about, is that during a Restore of a deleted
share, which has most of the data migrated (the size is 1.5Gb but actual
size on NTFS is 17Mb), the TSM B/A client restores 2000 objects and 9Mb of
data - which is about what I would expect.
However, when the restore starts bringing back the stub files, I see the HSM
client (different nodename) starting to Recall the data, so I end up with
the share back at the original size before I ran the HSM Migration job!

The restore is carried out after deleting the share, using the Web Client
GUI, and restoring the latest backup copy, and to the original location.

In a very busy Clustered File environment, which I want to target HSM at,
this may have severe consequences!

Has anyone with experience of the 5.4 HSM client seen this before, or give
me any clues as to where I am going wrong with my configuration?

5.5 may be my way forward, but I would not anticipate being able to get this
version into my client's Production environment for at least another 3
months.

Thanks

Robin Lowe
Storage Consultant