ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 5.4 performance issues

2008-03-18 10:04:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 5.4 performance issues
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:03:34 -0500
        I'm finding it difficult to understand why horrible performance
is taking so long to correct in a product that costs so darn much to run
on UNIX platforms compared to Intel, but I'll restrain myself for now.
I wonder why you would release a product at all that performs that
badly, and then force your clients to upgrade to it, all while
increasing the cost of new licenses?  Do they want less customers or
what?  My company is already investigating less expensive alternatives
because of performance issues with restores, and the cost of licensing
TSM, if they hear about this it'll become a no brainer, and I'll be out
of a job.

        I guess the next question is around the server, is it all client
side, or is this problem partly server side?  The majority of our
clients are Windows, so we could go to 5.5 on the server, and windows
clients and run 5.4.2 on UNIX boxes to avoid the issue.  However, if
it's partly server side, I'd be interested in finding out what server
level has the better performance.

See Ya'
Howard