ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] What tells Q DRM?

2008-03-18 00:56:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] What tells Q DRM?
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:46:42 +1100
And as to what actually makes a tape change state?

Once an hour TSM runs an internal check.  Tapes change from pending to
scratch/empty when their pending period is past and the check is run.  You
have no control over it, it depends on the time of day that the TSM Server
was last brought up.

HTH

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin, Sydney Australia

             Wanda Prather
             <wprather AT JASI DOT CO
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: [ADSM-L] What tells Q DRM?

             18/03/2008 03:37
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Usually it takes both.

Expiration is what causes the %utilization and %reclaimable values for your
tapes to be updated.  If you aren't running reclamation, those values won't
change (unless you delete a filespace, that takes effect at once).

When space reclamation kicks in, it will process any tapes whose value has
dropped below your %reclaim threshold.  Once all the data has been moved
from the tape (for onsite tapes) or recopied to a new offsite tape (for
offsite tapes), the tape will go to EMPTY status.  EMPTY tapes show up to
DRM as VAULTRETRIEVE.

DB backup or DB snapshot tapes that have exceeded the age limit set by the
DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS parm i(see Q DRMSTATUS) will also show up as
VAULTRETRIEVE.

So if you haven't been running expiration, you haven't been running
reclamation, your reclamation thresholds are too high, or your DB backup
tapes haven't been getting made and sent offsite, those could all affect
your tapes coming back.