ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Netapp/ADIC I2000 path woes

2008-03-06 15:47:01
Subject: [ADSM-L] Netapp/ADIC I2000 path woes
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 15:25:53 -0500
A real stumper.  This is an ongoing problem.
ADIC i2000, Netapp Ontap 7.2.3, TSM 5.4.1

I've isolated this so I know it'd not a TSM problem, but perhaps I can
find some insight here. Describing it is a bit complex, but here goes.

The drives are shared with 2 AIX hosts and 1 Netapp.  (I've isolated the
netapp, so I know it's not a tape reservation issue either)

We have 16 LTO3 drives in an i2000 library.
Every 4 drives are on an individual I/O board in the i2000, so as far as
zoning goes, the i2000 is presenting 4 WWNs
The Netapp has 2x dual port cards. 4 ports in total, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b
We have it zoned:
5A - i2000 card1 (4 drives)
5B - i2000 card2 (4 drives)
6A - i2000 card3 (4 drives)
6B - i2000 card4 (4 drives)
On the netapp, I can see all the drives, and read all the serial numbers
from the drives.

Here is the problem.
When I try to define a path to the drives only 8 drives are able to be
defined.  The rest
fail with a ANR1737E. The 8 drives are all the drives on only 2 of the
cards.  Here is the rub,
On the ADIC, I can reboot the 2 cards that didn't work, then the define
paths will work.  I can
also "fcadmin reset_adapter" the interface on the netapp side to get the
paths to work.
But if I do that, the other 2 cards that originally worked, stop working!
The pattern I've found is either 5A or 6B will work, but not both.  6A or
5B will work, but not both.

When I've tried to isolate it, I've performed dumps from the netapp to
physically mounted tapes, and it still behaves this way.  For drives that
aren't on a "freshly reset" card, I get an "illegal device" error.  But I
simply reset the interface, then the dump works fine.

One more strange thing.  I can start a dump to 5A, reset 6B and then start
a job on 6B and both will run concurrently. But when the job finishes on
5A, I won't be able to start another.

I have cases open with Quantum and Netapp, but they are stumped.

Shawn Drew
Data Protection Engineer
Core IT Production
BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.