ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] z/os file system backup support

2008-02-29 14:28:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] z/os file system backup support
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:27:05 -0500
On Feb 29, 2008, at 1:44 PM, Len Boyle wrote:

My problem is not if the client is still supported. It is that we
had ordered the client license against a windows ADSM/TSM server.
And the operating server for the backups is running on windows. The
question is do they still support using a windows server.

Len -

I don't pretend to understand TSM licensing any more, given how far
it's gone toward the ouija board boundary of reality.  But B/A TSM
clients in general connect to TSM servers in general, as stated in
the client manual; and that certainly includes z/OS -> Windows.  And,
given a client-server pair, there has to be licensing in play.

Don't expect what you've found for licensing methodology in one
release to carry over into another release.  Having been able to look
up a feature code in the past won't necessarily pertain to
contemporary licensing.  Look to the ADSM-L archives for recent
discussions of licensing approaches per the release you're looking
at: things constantly change in that arena.

   Richard