ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM dream setup

2008-02-13 15:37:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM dream setup
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:33:30 -0500
I've got customers using both LTO4 and 3592 (now called TS1120) drives.
Both sets of customers are happy.

The TS1120 drives are fabulous - they are fast and have a really high duty
cycle.  3592 cartrdiges are more durable than the LTO4's.

The LTO4 drives are also excellent for the price.
The LTO4 drives are going to fail more often than the TS1120's, so keep them
under maintenance.

For the amount of data you process per day, I'd agree that the 3592's (while
a most excellent technology) are probably overkill in terms of the duty
cycle you need.

OTOH, the LTO4 drives will require a new library.  The TS3500 library is my
favorite library out there; it is even more durable than the 3494, MUCH
faster, and a cleaner interface than the 3494 (no category codes to deal
with).

The other thing to consider:  When you replace LTOx drives with the next
generation of LTO (which people tend to do in less than 5 years), you have
to replace all the media.  When you replace your TS1120 drives (which people
generally don't need to do within 5 years), you get higher density on the
cartrdidge without replacing the media.  For large sites, the LTO media
upgrade cost can exceed the drive upgrade cost.

Frankly, it's a no-lose situation for you, whether you choose LT04 or
TS1120.

And, as Kelly said, depending on the size of your total data store and your
DR requirements, a mostly-disk or partly-VTL solution may work very well,
too.

Which is optimal for you depends on the total amount of data you plan to
store, how long you want to keep this hardware, your DR
requirements, whether you have the comm lines available for replication,
your budget, your floorspace requirements.  Etc.

Wanda