ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Physically shred tape after one use? [ email retention ]

2008-02-08 07:49:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Physically shred tape after one use? [ email retention ]
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 07:49:11 -0500
>- Allen S. Rout wrote
>I've got some sentiment on the UF campus that anything which could be
>retrieved by a data-recovery house should be deemed not deleted.  This
>is making me wince at the thought of turning 3592 volumes into
>single-use disposables.

>So how do you-all do it, and how did you decide?

>W wrote
>Are you talking about "discoverable" meaning the legal term "discovery",
or
>as in "snoopable", meaning somebody gets access to your media because it
>falls off a truck or they walk out the door with it?

I read the question as asking (probably incorrectly) as whether a scratch
tape
be recovered, or a  currently in use tape have it's unused portion
recovered.

We have had this conversation with our email folks here.  I have explained
that, YES,
the previous data is sitting there past the defined deletion period.  YES,
it
is possible to access it on a very expensive fishing expedition.  So far,
that has
been acceptable.  If this changes, I suppose I'll be reading up on TSM
and/or
3592 encryption (something I know nothing about).

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.