ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Recommendations/suggestions for moving a TSM server

2008-02-07 10:44:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Recommendations/suggestions for moving a TSM server
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:38:44 -0600
And, if you want the move to be seamless on the client end change the IP
address and host name on the new box to match the old box (this is what
I've done).  This will enable you to skip step 5 below.  However I must
add that before you run a DB Backup after step 1, empty out your
diskpools and remove them from TSM.  Then when you restore your DB, you
can redefine them on the new box.  This will cut down the startup time
after the restore, as TSM Will be looking for the storage pools.

If you are afraid to upgrade on the old box, setup the new box with the
new OS and the same version of TSM on the old box.
        1.  Backup the db (after emptying and removing the diskpools) on
old box.
        2.  Change host name and IP address of new server to match old
(after shutting down the old server).
        3.  restore the db on new box, and redefine disk storage pools.
        4.  Make sure all is well, and then halt TSM.
        5.  Perform in place upgrade to 5.5.

I've tested these steps in AIX, and they worked fine, but YMMV.  I'd
make sure to run a couple of tests on spare hardware before you go live
with it to make sure its going to fly.

See Ya'
Howard