ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SV: TSM Windows Bare Metal Recovery options

2008-02-06 09:04:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SV: TSM Windows Bare Metal Recovery options
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 08:03:53 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Christian Svensson
> But when you do a BMR with TSM only you don't have all the flexibility
> with Dissimilar Hardware and the speed that CBMR have to recovery the
OS.
> Of course you can do a Image backup with TSM but in that case you got
so
> much extra data backed up and with a site with 50 servers or more it
will
> be probably too much duplicated data.

First of all, you might want to make it a little more obvious to the
list readers here at ADSM-L, Christian, that you work for Christie,
which sells CBMR. You're not exactly a disinterested party to this
discussion.

Second, you CAN use TSM all by itself to restore a system to dissimilar
hardware. As I said earlier, it takes some up-front work to set up such
a process, but I've done it on many systems for customers. The relative
speeds with which you restore a system with or without CBMR doesn't make
that much difference, since the majority of the time is spent waiting
for data to move from tape to disk.

--
Mark Stapleton
CDW Berbee