ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM TDP for Exchnage issue today!

2008-02-01 06:40:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM TDP for Exchnage issue today!
From: "Minns, Farren; Chichester" <fminns AT WILEY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:39:42 +0000
Hi Guys

It's not my week for databases sadly. Today I had a failed incr Exchange backup
and found the following on the IBM site. As such, I am now running a full
backup which is working fine. But, I'm still not understanding exactly why this
is happening.

Can anyone enlighten me?

This was the error and explanation I found for it.

Exchange backup is failing with HRESULT: 0xc8000230
 Technote (FAQ)

Problem
Incremental backup fails after a failover. In the schedule log :

ANS1909E The scheduled command failed.
ANS1512E Scheduled event 'EXCHANGE_MON_DB_INCR' failed. Return code = 402

Solution
Customer installed Exchange in a Cluster environment. A full backup has been
successful. Later, a failover occurred. The next incremental backup fails. In
the exchange log, we have the following :
.
Backup of storage group First Storage Group (EXCHGROUP) failed.
ACN5798E MS Exchange API HRESEBACKUPSETUP() failed with HRESULT:
0xc8000230
.
The database missed a previous full backup before the incremental
backup.
.
The TDP connects to the Exchange API, and ask the Exchange server
to run an incremental backup. In this case, the Exchange server
is refusing :
.
MS Exchange API HRESEBACKUPSETUP() failed with HRESULT: 0xc8000230
.
The problem here is database defragmentation that causes the failure of the
incremental, for this reason a FULL backup needs to be done after a
degragmentation on exchange.

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.

John Wiley & Sons Limited is a private limited company registered in
England with registered number 641132.

Registered office address: The Atrium, Southern Gate, Chichester,
West Sussex, PO19 8SQ.