ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM performing full backups where incremental specified

2008-01-28 16:19:55
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM performing full backups where incremental specified
From: "Kinder, Kevin P" <Kevin.P.Kinder AT WV DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:19:29 -0500
I wanted to revisit this issue, which I wrote about last week, to see if
the new things I have learned ring a bell with anyone here. I did check
and verify on all the suggestions that I received the first time I
posted, but none of them were applicable. I do appreciate the responses,
however!

After upgrading to TSM 5.5 on z/OS 1.7, all of my NetWare clients now do
a full backup every night, rather than incrementals. Nothing changed on
the clients, I didn't do an autonamereset, and I am not overriding the
incremental setting. I am also not using UNICODE.

I have discovered through testing that if I simply issue the INCREMENTAL
command, either via the command line or via a nightly schedule, that a
full backup is done. However, if I follow the incremental with any
options (e.g., INCREMENTAL SYS:* -subdir=yes) then the incremental
command is processed correctly.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? I did several searches, and could
only find one item that seemed to apply, concerning a NOCOMPRESSBIT to
be placed in the DSM.OPT. I tested that, and it did not work. The
problem occurs on clients ranging from 5.2.0.0 to 5.5.0.0, so I have to
think it's something in the new server code.

As a workaround, what would be the best way to issue the incremental
command with the options on a nightly schedule?

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Kevin Kinder

State of West Virginia