ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DISASTER: How to do a LOT of restores?

2008-01-28 15:29:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DISASTER: How to do a LOT of restores?
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:28:08 -0700
I believe that every file has an entry in the database.  Aggregates were
designed to reduce the number of transaction commits when moving stuff
around.  The first place this really helped was when moving files from a
client to the server.  Rather than doing transaction commits after each
file, aggregate a bunch of files (based on txngroupmax or txnbytelimit)
and send them along and then commit all of them.  Then once these
aggregates are on the server move them around as an aggregate, again,
cutting down on the amount db commits required.

In the case of active only storage pools, the discussion is correct: one
would think that aggregate reconstruction becomes very important in
order to consolidate active files into aggregates with only active
files.  This requires reclamation which does do aggregate
reconstruction.

I hope I'm not pedantic.  I had to Google that to know what it meant!

Kelly Lipp
CTO
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive