ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SV: Seeking thoughts/experiences on backing up large amounts (say 50 Petabytes) of data

2008-01-26 03:39:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SV: Seeking thoughts/experiences on backing up large amounts (say 50 Petabytes) of data
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:08:18 -0500
LTO4 is rated at 120MB/s, so I'm guessing you factored in some compression
to get that up to 350MB/s.  Regardless, using the 350MB/s as a starting
point, I think it works out to 1 tape drive being able to move 11PB/yr
(just using "PB/yr" makes me cringe).  I actually came up with 4.5 tape
drive years for 50PB.

We know about the changes coming in the next version of TSM.  I've heard
that DB2 databases can be bigger, but how much bigger?  I'm guessing we'll
still need to deal with multiple instances - just not sure what order of
magnitude (10s or 100s of servers).

..Paul