ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: Upgrading TSM on an AIX server running multiple TSM instances

2008-01-24 00:14:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: Upgrading TSM on an AIX server running multiple TSM instances
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:14:32 -0600
James R Owen wrote:

> I'm also looking for advice: how best to make an inoperative AUTOSRVR
> entry in /etc/inittab?  We leave the tiny default TSM service in the
> installation directory for upgrade processing, and never want it to
> start up automatically, but the upgrade process recreates the entry if
> it has been removed.

Change the "once" to "off" in the inittab entry.  I'm not sure if the
installation/upgrade process will change it back or not, though.

But don't do this if the running dsmserv was started by that autosrvr
entry, or init will kill the running server!

(Related trick for starting the TSM server after a TSM halt without
 rebooting or manually running the dsmserv process:  change the "2"
 to "2a" in inittab, then use "telinit a" to make init start the TSM
 server the same way it would at boot.)

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa