ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Upgrading TSM on an AIX server running multiple TSM instances

2008-01-23 15:00:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Upgrading TSM on an AIX server running multiple TSM instances
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:40:53 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
James R Owen
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:18 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Upgrading TSM on an AIX server running multiple
TSM instances

Orville,
Can you clarify exactly what is the problem with multiple TSM service
instances running from a  shared dsmserv binary?  AFAIK, IBM/Tivoli does
not suggest to copy and run a separate executable for each TSM instance.
We have not seen any problems sharing the same executable among several
TSM instances.

Do you use this technique to allow production TSM services to continue
running while you upgrade the default installation TSM service?

Have you used this technique to safely run different maintenance levels
of TSM service simultaneously on the same AIX host?  If so, have you
experienced any problems doing this?  Did you ever need to copy
additional files to the running directories for the other TSM services?

I'm also looking for advice: how best to make an inoperative AUTOSRVR
entry in /etc/inittab?  We leave the tiny default TSM service in the
installation directory for upgrade processing, and never want it to
start up automatically, but the upgrade process recreates the entry if
it has been removed.
--
Jim.Owen AT Yale DOT Edu   (203.432.6693)

Orville Lantto wrote:
> The reason to have separate binaries for each instance is that the
process in AIX is tied to the binary file and holds it open.

> Orville L. Lantto

I'm with Jim Owen above, I don't think you need completely separate
binaries, unless You WANT to keep the two at different versions.  But,
something inside me vaguely remembers reading about running two
different versions on 1 box and having problems.

Anyway, all you have to do is make sure you run the dbupgrade for each
instance before you start up the server for all of them.

See Ya'
Howard