ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication

2008-01-23 11:13:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication
From: Matthew Warren <Matthew_WARREN AT BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:09:05 +0000
Hmm, I was going to say I'd expect almost none, because the eencryption
wouldn't generate the same data each time through.

But maybe It depends on encyption scheme, on how keys are managed (I would
expect the same data to encrypt the same way if the same keys are used -
although I am no cryptologist), on the level at which the data is
'collated' - changed block, whole files, etc.. etc.. and how the de-dupe
algorithm of choice does it's thing.

Matt.

           Internet
           rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU

           Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                     cc

           23/01/2008 15:47
                         Subject
                                                 Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication

                 Please respond to
                ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

> As with all questions like this, the answer is "it depends".
> It depends on the make-up of your data (# of DB full dumps, % of DB
>dumps to filesystem data, % of change on the client, etc)
>It depends on the vendor of DeDupe you are using.
>
>FWIW, I am about to replace a 100TB of LTO tape with a DataDomain 560
>dedupe box starting next week. Once the migration from tape to disk is
>complete, I will be reporting what I saw in my environment. The DD folks
>are saying that the worst case scenario will be a 7X reduction (i.e.
>70TB of data squeezed into a 10TB DataDomain appliance). We shall see.
>
>Ben

Do not print this message unless it is necessary,
consider the environment.

N'imprimez ce message que si necessaire,
pensez a l'environnement.