ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DISASTER: How to do a LOT of restores?

2008-01-22 10:25:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DISASTER: How to do a LOT of restores?
From: Bill Dourado <bill.dourado AT ALSTEC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:24:25 +0000
Roger,

Create backupsets of nodes that need restoring , maybe ?

Bill

Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
22/01/2008 08:40
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] DISASTER: How to do a LOT of restores?

We like to talk about disaster preparedness, and one just happened here
at UIC.

On Saturday morning, a fire damaged portions of the UIC College of
Pharmacy Building. It affected several laboratories and offices. The
Chicago Fire Department, wearing hazmat moon suits due to the highly
dangerous contents of the laboratories, put it out efficiently in about
15 minutes. The temperature was around 0F (-18C), which compounded the
problems - anything that took on water became a block of ice.
Fortunately nobody was hurt; only a few people were in the building on a
Saturday morning, and they all got out safely.

Now, both the good news and the bad news is that many of the damaged
computers were backed up to our large TSM system. The good news is that
their data can be restored.

The bad news is that their data can be restored. And so now it must be.

Our TSM system is currently an old-school tape-based setup from the ADSM
days. (Upgrades involving a lot more disk coming real soon!) Most of the
nodes affected are not collocated, so I have to plan to do a number of
full restores of nodes whose data is scattered across numerous tape
volumes each. There are only 8 tape drives, and they are kept busy since
this system is in a heavily-loaded, about-to-be-upgraded state. (Timing
couldn't be worse; Murphy's Law.)

TSM was recently upgraded to version 5.5.0.0. It runs on AIX 5.3 with a
SCSI library. Since it is a v5.5 server, there may be new facilities
available that I'm not aware of yet.

I have the luxury of a little bit of time in advance. The hazmat guys
aren't letting anyone in to asess damage yet, so we don't know which
client node computers are damaged or not. We should know in a day or
two, so in the meantime I'm running as much reclamation as possible.

Given that this is our situation, how can I best optimize these
restores? I'm looking for ideas to get the most restoration done for
this disaster, while still continuing normal client-backup, migration,
expiration, reclamation cycles, because somebody else unrelated to this
situation could also need to restore...

This electronic mail message, including any attachments, is a
confidential communication exclusively between Babcock International
Group PLC or its subsidiary company and the intended recipient(s)
indicated as the addressee(s). It contains information which is private
and may be proprietary or covered by legal professional privilege. If
you receive this message in any form and you are not the intended
recipient you must not review, use, disclose or disseminate it.
We would be grateful if you could contact the sender upon receipt
and in any event you should destroy this message without delay.
Anything contained in this message that is not connected with the
business of Babcock International Group PLC is neither endorsed by
nor is the liability of this company.
Babcock International Group PLC
Company number 2342138
Registered in England